Three Sisters Green Potato Soup
Courtesy of Pat Derx.
4 Large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 c whole milk, use more if needed
2 c heavy cream or use 2 more cups of milk if you prefer not to use cream (I used a light cream)
1 tsp salt (or more)
8 strips bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 small yellow onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced ( or 1/4 tsp. MINCED GARLIC: you can buy this as a spice)
1 TB GROUND CUMIN
1 tsp OREGANO (or more)
1 can sweet corn, drained
2 cups of cubed zucchini (or more)
1 cups of cut green beans
2 cups of green chiles, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 tsp - 1 tsp of PENZEY'S FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER-season to taste
2 TB chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
1/2 - 1c shredded Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until tender, about 8 minutes
- Drain and return to the pot
- Add the milk, heavy cream and salt. Heat over medium heat "DON'T BOIL"
- In a skillet, cook the bacon and onions until the onions are translucent and tender
- Add the garlic, cumin and oregano; and cook for an additional 2 minutes
- Drain the mixture well on paper toweling and then add to the pot along with the corn, zucchini, beans, and chiles
- Cover and simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, until the zucchini is tender
- Taste and add pepper and more salt to taste.
- When ready to serve, serve in bowls with a sprinkling of cilantro and cheese.