- PLANTS MOST SUSCEPTIBLE: Wide variety of sun sensitive plants including citrus, mimosa, mulberry, etc.
- Newly planted trees may lack sufficient canopy to shade the bark
- Pruning in the Spring or Summer which exposes previously shaded trunk area to intense sunlight.
- Avoid pruning sun sensitive trees during the spring or summer. If pruning is necessary, try not to open up areas of shaded bark.
- Protect exposed areas by painting with a white, water-based paint, shading with a cloth or paper wrapping.
- Shade the effected area
- Monitor for bacterial or fungal infection and apply fungicide or 10% bleach solution if necessary
- The bark on the South or West sides of the trunk becomes discolored and may split or crack exposing the wood beneath to disease and insect predators.