If you aren’t jazzed about working your plot in the heat, then it is time to summarize all or a portion of it.
How to summarize:
- Dig you plants back into your soil (the big stalks can go in the city trash can.
- Cover the bed with 4" compost.
- Cover the compost with a layer of straw.
- Leave it until fall when you can scrape the straw back and dig in the compost.
- While the soil is resting, microbes are busy at work improving your soil for the next planting season.
- Reduce the amount of water and also the frequency (soil should be kept barely moist).